Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Mixing it Up


I love to start new projects much more than I love to finish old ones.  What eventually happens is I get bogged down in too many ambitious, long-term projects.  (Embroidering state flowers, making Dresden plates, sewing dresses...)  I feel like I'm barely treading water, working hard but with little finished product to show for it.  That why it's so great to find quick, finish in less than a day projects that give a rush of creative energy.  The journal I made last Friday was just that.  It went together in just a couple hours (while watching TV) and I'm really happy with the result.  I followed this tutorial that I discovered on Pinterest: http://jamesdarrow.deviantart.com/art/Bookbinding-Tutorial-292237490


I used 60lb drawing paper.  The sheets were 9x12-in. and I folded them in half to make a 9x6-in. book. I found a couple sheets of vintage-y scrap paper, a sheet of "artist craft paper" (I couldn't find chipboard), embroidery floss, and some fun fall fabric from West Seattle Fabric Co.


The tutorial claims that sewing the signatures together is the most difficult part.  But I found that the hardest part was waiting for the glue to dry so that I could enjoy my book.





------------------------------------------


P.S.  Just for you mom :-) -- the progress on the gray dress...


No comments:

Post a Comment