Monday, June 6, 2011

A Very Merry Birthday

Last summer my grandmother was moving into a smaller apartment just as Jason and I were moving into a larger one.  So we inherited a few things that she no longer has room for.  The most special of these things is her old sewing machine.  She purchased it from Sears, Roebuck and Co. in the winter of 1941.  Over the years it's been used to make everything you can imagine.  My mother remembers using it when she was a girl to sew a dress out of an old coat lining.  This winter I've been learning to sew with it.  I've made several bags, pajama pants, and a shirt.  The old machine can be temperamental, but it's been fun to use.


That is, it was fun, until I got bold enough to try my hand at dress making.  As I sat sewing an invisible zipper in by hand, I dreamed of newer machines, ones that could finish hems and sew zippers with ease.  Jason, evidently, was listening to my complaining, because my new machine is everything I dreamed of.  Thank you, dear!!


No comments:

Post a Comment